Well at least we have happy frogs right now. This is the current state of this water line trench. With the constant rain this trench keeps filling up with water. I was hoping that it would drain naturally and then I could back fill the sand and soil. With this new weather pattern we are in we keep getting rain every day or two. Looks like on a dry day I will have to pump it out to be able to fill it in. This is the last section of the trench that needs to be back filled then the water line project is 100% complete! The next project is the greenhouse build which is scheduled for this Saturday. Once the greenhouse structure is built and covered with film we will actually have a functioning farm! This is pretty exciting to get the greenhouse filled with all of our nursery stock, then Mid Winter get seed trays started for Spring sales! There is a lot to get done and the cold weather isn’t too far off now.
I am very please to announce that we now have water on the farm. I was able to the connect the last hydrant up, and turn the water on at the meter. When I opened the cover on the water meter, I discovered a new friend!
Thankfully we had no leaks! I have not used Ford connector before, these things are really incredible. So now we can finish back filling, and getting the farm back to normal.
What a difference a couple of days can make. I was able to get back down to the farm this afternoon and get a few things done.
I was able to get the yard hydrant near the cabin installed, I then began on the hydrant at the greenhouse pad and it started to pour. I walk back to the cabin to sit on the porch and wait it out. As soon as I sat down the rain stopped, …figures!
This section of the water line run has a “T” for the hydrant, then a shutoff valve, then a plug for the continuation of the line at a later date. I started to get the hydrant installed and realize that I needed two more pipe stiffeners, so the last hydrant isn’t installed yet.
I was able to get more of the trench back filled, and regrade the road that leads from the main driveway down to the greenhouse pad roughed out. So I will get some more stiffeners to finish installing the greenhouse hydrant, then turn on the water and hope for no issues at any of the connections.
I must confess that Friday afternoon was a bit difficult to me. I knew that the excavation company was going to dig my trenches for the new water lines. I knew that they were going to dump sand on the property. I must confess that when I arrived on site and saw my beloved farm which has been taking shape over the past several months. My farm that the real estate listing referred to it as “undeveloped agriculture” land. My farm which I have many hours of planning and work invested in, now looked like a bomb had dropped on it. It looked like I had become a natural disaster victim. My spirit was broken on Friday afternoon.
I spent a few minutes and journaled how I was feeling. I wrote down the feelings and emotions in my journal that Gina bought for me. I then opened up my other journal and read my life verses. I read Psalms 46:10 “Be still and know that I am God”. I read Phillipians 4:13 ” I can do all things through Christ Who strengthens me”. I began to feel better about my situation, so I read other verses that give me hope and strength. I then went down to the greenhouse pad and began to lay out where the greenhouse will soon stand and act as the heart of my farm next Spring.
Saturday was a new day! I picked up a dingo from Art’s rental and headed out to the farm to get the water lines in the ground. I was able to get a lot of sand moved into the trench before anyone else arrived. Gina was the first to arrive with water, soft drinks and lunch. Then our daughter and her family arrived to help wrangle sand, poly pipe, and soil.
Everyone pitched in and the work seems to have gone quickly. Lynae and Daniel worked the sand in the trenches to make sure we had at least 6″ of sand throughout the bottom of the trench. I worked to get the sand in the trench and move soil to gain access to all point in the trench.
At the end of the day we lined the bottom of the trench with at least 6″ of sand, laid our 3/4″ poly pipe, attached our unions, and our T’s. We back filled our sand with at least 6 inches of sand, then back filled our soil except where our connections were at. I still have about 2.4 hours left on the dingo and hope to get back down to the farm to finish the last few connections, get the hydrants installed and at least back fill the last of the sand before returning the dingo on Monday.
Well as I arrived at the farm today I began to feel rather overwhelmed. Our excavator dug the trenches for the water lines and dumped 22 tons of sand on the property this week.
The landscape business is very busy with a stacked schedule. This is good news but is making it hard to get the water installed and getting the greenhouse frame erected.
So based on these pictures you can understand the feelings I expressed of being overwhelmed. I spend a few minutes writing in my journal and laid out a plan to get things done, and started feeling better of things.
I have a Dingo reserved for tomorrow with a smooth bucket, and I will be a sand moving fool most of the day. We have 3- 100 foot rolls of poly pipe, Ford fittings , and 2 frost proof yard hydrants. I couldn’t believe how expensive these supplies are, but I don’t have time to dig this line up because of cheap parts. My daughter and her family will be at the farm to help get some things done. Hopefully we can get the sand in the trench, get the lines layed, and another 6 inches of sand on top of that, then back fill the trenches. It’s a lot of work, but I really want to get the farm back to normal. The place feels in such disarray right now with the driveway torn up, access to the other side of the farm blocked with soil, and a giant pile of sand in the front lawn. I can’t wait to get the water turned on and get to building our greenhouse.